It is a 444-acre estate that protects a globally endangered pine rockland environment, as well as coastal tropical hardwood rockland hammocks, mangrove forests, salt marshes, and a coastal dune island. Charles Deering used to live here.
The Deering Estate at Cutler, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is home to the Richmond Cottage, which served as a hotel from 1896 to 1922, as well as historical buildings spanning from 1896 to 1922 and an American Indian burial ground dating back to 1500 years.
Charles Deering was an art collector who, with his brother James, amassed a large collection of works by the Old Masters over the course of his life. Deering himself was a painter, and some of his paintings are on display at this location. The Artist Village on the estate has grown into a significant cultural destination, hosting exhibitions and workshops for artists north of Princeton.
The Deering family lived on the 444-acre farm for five years, from 1922 to 1927, and raised their family there. The Richmond Cottage, a three-story wooden cottage erected in 1900 on the site, and a three-story stone palace on the property are the only structures on the property. There were also additional buildings constructed on the property to act as support facilities to the estate. Located in the Cutler neighborhood of Palmetto Bay, Florida, the Charles Deering Estate is a private residence.
One of the most impressive features of the grounds are what is believed to be the biggest pristine coastal tropical hardwood hammock in the continental United States. In 1985, the state of Florida purchased the estate and turned it into a museum. In addition to being owned by the state of Florida, the estate is maintained by the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces Department, which is located in Miami.
Upon the death of Charles Deering in 1927, the property was taken up and maintained by his relatives. The property became available for purchase in 1982, following the death of his daughter. Finley Matheson purchased the estate in 1984 and sought to have it designated as a state park, which was eventually successful. The site was purchased by the state of Florida in 1985 for $22.5 million dollars.
The Deering Estate is a historic property that has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979.
It was inducted into the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 after meeting all of the conditions in all categories of eligibility. Moreover, through a collaborative effort with the Florida International University School of Environment, Arts, and Society, it belongs to the Organization of Biological Field Stations as a member station. Having joined the organization, they have access to resources that will help them be more effective in supporting essential research, education, and outreach activities in Little River.